THE FIRST GOLF COURSE IN URUGUAY
The golf course of Fray Bentos is the oldest in the country, originally built by Eng. Allister Mc Kenzie in 1933, later attending Montevideo where he mapped the field today of Punta Carretas.
He was part of the ANGLO DEL URUGUAY Refrigerator, in the Anglo neighborhood that surrounded the company's facilities. The field has approximately 6,000 yards, with 9 holes and relatively small greens. The land, located on a slope and crossed by a small gully, offers a very attractive panorama, while technically configuring a playing field with excellent properties.
The field became property of the Municipality of Río Negro when this extension of land, including the factory, was transferred by the national government to the municipal orbit. In the 1980s, the entire neighborhood and manufacturing facilities were declared a national historic monument. The municipality passed the field under the administration of FRAY BENTOS GOLF CLUB that organizes three important events at an international level during the year. The Open Litoral Championship in November stands out.
It stands out the existence of a typical English construction, called "sport pavillion" built around 1937 in homage to the coronation of King George V, inside which elements of the sports history of this social activity are preserved.