THE COSMOPOLITE SOCIETY OF MUTUAL HELP
The social life of Villa Independencia (as Fray Bentos was called at its birth), revolved around people from various parts of the world, who were attracted by the bonanza of work offered by the famous Liebig Saladero and numerous South American and European nations . Soon, the local society reacted to this growing community of different roots. The main nuclei of immigrants like the Spaniards and the Italians, soon met in entities that allowed the defense and the conservation of the cultural antecedents. But also those not coming from countries of traditional immigrants, met. So it was that, in a barn of the saladero, at the request of the French carpenter Carlos Trousseville, the Cosmopolitan Society of Mutual Aid was formed in 1879. THE HISTORY AND USE OF THE BUILDING Soon, when the institution came to life and was strengthened, the first thing that its members thought was to have a building that began to be built in 1888 on a plot in front of the main square of the town. In this way, a large group of immigrants from all those nations who were not Italians or Spaniards was offered a place to carry out their social activities. The land for the building was acquired in 1884, when the Society had almost 500 members. Two or three technicians were consulted in the area and the proposal of the architect L. Bottani de Gualeguaychú was accepted, with the plans of which he advanced in the work. The board of directors met conspicuous citizens who were concerned about the progress of society and understood at every moment the improvement of the living conditions of their members. If one of them accused a bad behavior or "left to be desired" as regards his activity in the community, he was called to the Commission to remind him of his sacred obligations to society ... The building was headquarters years later of the United Youth Society that held there dances, fervent social demonstration until the decade of the `60, where carnival dances were famous with" assaults "of disguised pirates. The building was used since its foundation by CV 153 Radio Rincón, where it had its offices, transmissions and fonoplatea. Towards 1985, at the suggestion of the Mayor Dr. Mario Carminatti, the building was acquired by the municipality to restore it and recover it for the historical and cultural heritage of the city. In 1987, after the installation of a retrospective exhibition of the famous artist from Buenos Aires, Don Luis Solari, the definitive use was given to this beautiful building that preserves its original lines.